Scigliano is a commune which is spread out
and formed by nine centres: Agrifoglio, Calvisi,
Celsita, Cupani, Diano, Lupia, Petrisi, Porticelle and Traversa.
These centres are located on a relief on the left side of
the Savuto Valley, some kilometres south of Cosenza and not
far from the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Its name derives from Marco Giunio Sillano, a Roman
commander who had the castle erected during the II century
BC. There is also a Roman Bridge from this period, in the
territory (130 BC).
During the Middle Ages, Scigliano was a Royal Directional
City, redeeming its own freedom by paying the following families:
Di Gennaro, Firrao and the Prince of Aquino, who tried to
subject the city to their power.
An earthquake caused grave damage in Scigliano, constricting
the population to migrate to the surrounding territory and
to found new localities (1630).
At the beginning of the XIX century, Scigliano sided with
French troops against the Bourbon ones and subsequently adhered
to the Unitarian motions of 1860.
A visit to the City
Scigliano still presents some integral Medieval architectonic
elements, such as balconies and fountains, but it is the Communal
Building, the ex Minori Osservanti Convent, which is the most
The San Nicola of Bari Church guards a 16th century marble
statue in its interior, depicting the Virgin with Child.
In the surrounding territory, one can visit and admire the
Roman Bridge (130 BC), which has been declared a national
Place of interest
- Palazzo Comunale ('400)
- Chiesa di San Nicola di Bari ('500)
- Chiesa dell'Assunta - Diano
- Chiesetta di San Leonardo
- convento dei frati Cappuccini (1567)
- Santuario di S. Maria di Monserrato
- Ponte Romano (130 a.C.)
- Resti dell'Abbazia di Santa Maria di Corazzo
- Parco Nazionale della Sila
- Visita di Amantea
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festa di San Giuseppe il 19 marzo
- Festa di Santa Croce il 3 maggio
- Festa della Madonna SS. di Monserrato la seconda domenica
- Festa di San Michele Arcangelo il 29 settembre