Lappano is a Medieval city, not too far
from Cosenza, situated in a panoramic position,
on the right side of the Crati River.
The most accredited hypothesis regarding its name, connects
the city to the Imperial Roman era (II century AD) and to
the existence of an estate belonging to a certain Lucius Appius,
from which Lappano was derived.
The presence of a Roman settlement seems to be testified by
the emersion of some finds in the Lappano territory.
However, the first historical information appears in the Angioinian
fiscal registries (XIII century), revealing the existence
of a village with more than a thousand inhabitants. Therefore,
Lappano was definitely an active centre under the Swabians
(XIII century), the Normans (XI century), the Byzantines (X
century) and maybe also the Lombards (or Longobards - VII-IX
To demonstrate the continuity of the Medieval centre with
Roman foundations is definitely a difficult task and is best
left to future archaeological campaigns, if any.
In the 14th century, the village was composed of two nuclei;
Lappano and Corno, the present day hamlet of Altavilla.
The village was included in the Royal Estate giving it fiscal
benefits from its status. But over the years it passed under
the dominion of the Grand Duke of Tuscany (1644-47), and the
following families: Guarano, Percacciante, Marra (XVII century)
and the Orsimarsi (XVIII century). These families are well
represented in the nobiliary buildings in Lappano with homonymous
During the 17th and 18th centuries, Lappano was brought to
its knees by an earthquake in 1638, the Plague in 1656 and
once again an earthquake in 1783 which destroyed the Castle.
Lappano adhered to the popular movements linked to the birth
of the Republic of Naples (1799), and suffered repression
from Cardinal Ruffo's troops who were linked to the Bourbons.
The ascension of French power (1806-1815), was not peaceful
but characterised by heavy clashes between the two rival parties
in the area.
On 1st January 1835, Lappano became a municipality and was
later distinguished following the conflicts of the Risorgimento
and Unitarian movements which led to the creation of the Reign
of Italy (1861).
A visit to the City
One can visit the following in the City: the S. Giovanni
Battista Parochial, which preserves an interesting wooden
altar in its interior.
From here, one can leave on a journey of discovery of neighbouring
Medieval centres and the Sila National Park.
Place of interest
- Parrocchiale di S. Giovanni Battista
- Chiesa di S. Maria delle Grazie (XIX sec.)
- Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta (XV sec.)
- Chiesa della Madonna delle Nevi (XIX sec.)
- Resti del Castello, frazione Altavilla
- Visita di Cosenza
- Parco Nazionale della Sila Piccola
- Visita di Spezzano della
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Nessun Evento segnalato