Along the Tyrrhenian coast of Calabria is where one will
come across Nicotera, an evocative centre
in a beautiful panoramic position.
Nicotera definitely has ancient origins since it is present
in the Itinerario di Antonino (Antonino Itinerary) (III century
AD), being a register of all rest stations and distances between
cities of the Roman Empire.
It was an ancient Episcopal seat and an active centre during
the Byzantine era up until the moment of its destruction by
the hands of the Saracens (IX century).
The centre was reconstructed in its present day position under
the wishes of the Norman Robert Guiscard (1065), who also
had the first Castle nucleus and walls built. Despite this,
it was once more destroyed and reconstructed in: 1074 by King
Tamin of Africa; in 1085 by the Benevert troops and finally
by the Almoravidi family led by Ibn-MaiMun.
It was then reconstructed by Ruggero II in 1122 and passed
under the Swabian rule (1194) of Frederick II, who amplified
the Castle and carried out urban planning modifications, also
establishing the Jewish district called Giudecca.
The Cathedral, in the vicinity of the Castle, was constructed
under the Swabians and then the Angioinians (1269), along
with the Santo Andrea dei Civili and San Nicola Churches.
It was a fief of the following families: Ruffo, Marzano, Gennaro
(1496) and once again of the Ruffo family (1585), who ruled
it until the end of feudalism (1806).
Beginning in the ‘500s, danger from Turkish raids became
apparent. The one of 19th May 1638, was particularly bloody.
The inhabitants were deported and the city burnt and destroyed.
Later on, epidemics, famine and an earthquake in 1783, added
to this, which changed the city’s appearance.
A visit to the City
The suburb enjoys a beautiful panoramic position and is dominated
by the architectonic structure of Castle Ruffo, reconstructed
on a previous Norman building (1764) and the Assunta Cathedral
(1785), also a Baroque construction emerged from the remains
of the Norman church.
The Castle hosts three museums, among which one containing
a collection of archaeological finds.
The Diocesano d’Arte Sacra Museum lies adjacent to the
Cathedral and is of great interest as it has archaeological
finds dating back to various eras in 48 rooms. The section
dedicated to the Normans is noteworthy.
The Seminary Building hosts instead the Episcopal Art Gallery
which exhibits canvases from the ‘600s and ‘700s.
Descending one will come across the San Francesco Church (XV
century), with the Cappuccini Convent annexed to it and the
Place of interest
- Castello Ruffo (1764)
- Cattedrale di S. Maria Assunta (1785)
- Convento dei Cappuccini
- Chiesa del Rosario
- Chiesa di San Francesco (XV sec.)
- Belvedere in viale Razza
- Visita di Rosarno
- Visita di Tropea
- Visita di Vibo Valentia
- Parco Nazionale dell'Aspromonte
- Museo Civico Archeologico nel Castello Ruffo
- Museo Mineralogico nel Castello Ruffo
- Centro per lo Studio e la Conservazione della Civiltà
Contadina del Poro nel Castello Ruffo
- Museo Diocesano d'Arte Sacra
- Pinacoteca Vescovile nel Palazzo del Seminario
- Processione in barca della statua dell'Immacolata Concezione