Caccuri is a centre of Presila
in the Crotone province. It is situated on the summit of a
protruding spot between the Lepre and Lese; two affluents
of the River Neto.
Caccuri came about during the Byzantine era (VI century
AD), on territory, which was already inhabited since the Palaeolithic
period, as demonstrated by the frequent grottoes in the vicinity
and during the Neolithic period (Pantane cemetery).
What is certain is that it was founded as defensive station
on the summit of the hill, where the Castle stands today.
In fact, its name derives from the Greek Cacumen, meaning
Shortly after its foundation, Basilian monks arrived (VIII
century) who built three monasteries which were under the
guidance of the Bishop of Cerenza (XI century).
During the XIII century, after the conflict between the French
and Aragonese, it became known in history by the name of Vespri
Siciliani (Sicilian Vespers). The fief of Cuccuri passed to
the Messinese citizens Enrico and Matteo De Riso, and therefore
their legitimate heirs.
During the 14th Century, the fief passed to the Ruffo family,
and then through marriage to Francesco Sforza, who on 3rd
October 1418, married the last heir of the Ruffo family, Polissena.
Cicco Simonetta was born in Cuccuri. He later became the powerful
secretary of the Sforza family in Milano and for this reason
was assassinated by Lodovico II Moro (1480).
The Spinelli family (XV century) followed and then the Cimino's
(XVI century), who, due to debts, put the fief of Caccuri
up for auction. It was acquired by the Cavalcanti family (1651).
The latter restored the Castle and stayed in power until the
19th century, when the last heir married the Marquis Ceva
Grimaldi, a rich Genovese merchant.
During the Bourbon period, the fief was sold by the Duchess
Rachele to Baron Barracco for 52.816 ducats (1830), whose
family had the characteristic cylindrical towers built (1885).
A visit to the City
Its Castle dominates the ancient Medieval village of Caccuri,
which has been greatly adjusted beginning during the XVI century.
It is possible to visit during the week by booking first.
The Riforma Church is important for its works of art as is
the S. Maria del Soccorso with its 15th century bell tower.
There are numerous places of interest surrounding Caccuri:
the S. Vito and S. Chierico churches, the abandoned villages
of Fantino and Carelli and the remains of the S. Maria Nova
There are many possible naturalistic excursions in the Sila
National Park, Lake Ampollino, and the mineral springs in
Caviglia and Lepre.
Place of interest
- Castello medievale
- Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie (XV sec.)
- Chiesa di S. Maria del Soccorso (XV sec.)
- Chiesa della Riforma
- Casa dei Simonetta
- Santuario di San Rocco
- Fontana Canalaci
- Ponte delle Monache
- Chiesa di San Chierico
- Chiesa di San Vito
- Timpa dei Santi
- Visita ai villaggi di Fantino e Carelli
- Sorgente dell'Acqua della Lepre
- Sorgente dell'Acqua della Caviglia
- Resti dell'Abbazia basiliana di S. Maria Nova
- Lago Ampollino
- Parco Nazionale della Sila
- Centro culturale del Castello
- Festa di san Rocco