Founded by Picens
and founded again by Siracusans according
to Old Plinio, Numana was already an important
trading port on the Athenian and Greek routes in VI cent.
b.C. Conquered by Romans, became municipium
conserving a certain importance in the trades.
With the end
of the empire it knew the devastation of the Goths
and an unforgettable earthquake that it made
to sink in sea half of lived (558 a.D.).
In the Middle Ages Numana knew a period
of decline due to repeated pillages of bandits and
earthquakes (terrible that one in 846). Subsequently
it made part of the Papal State until its
annexation the Reign of Italy (1860).
During the '900, thanks to the tourism,
the village of fishermen of Numana has transformed in important
tourist locality of the Conero.
Numana is located inside of the Conero Park
and is today an important bathing tourist center famous for
the beauty of its sea and its beach.
The city is able however to offer to its visitor also l artistic
starting points like the Antiquarium, that
collects archaeological finds of the Picen civilization, or
the Tower, symbol of the city and witness
of a remote past. It seems possible that it was the bell tower
of the ancient Church of San Giovanni, destroyed by the earthquake
Other monuments are Fontana Morelli ('600)
and Palazzo Vescovile (1773).
Numana keeps an important wooden crucifix that tradition dates
a little after Christ's death. Surely the crucifix was already
famous during the Franks age and was conserved in the Church
of San Giovanni. As a result of the eartquake (846) was found
again in the sea in 1294 by some fishermen.