Even if the territory was
inhabited by the Picens since the VII
cent. the present Montelupone immediately
declares its medieval origins through its
In the sphere of the fight between the State of the Church
and Longobardo Reign, the territory was given back to the
Church with a donation by King Desiderio
In the territory then settled the Benedictines
of the Abbey of S.Firmano and the Grimaldi
family that began to build a convent adjacent to the abbey.
Montelupone became free Comune (Municipality)
in the XII century knowing a period of development
and crescent importance but the fight between Papacy and Empire
carried to the failure of Republican ideals and to the birth
of the lordships. Had the power in Montelupone: the
Mainetti (1294), the Chiavelli, Fra' Moriale (1353), the Malatesta
(1407-1433), the Sforza (1433-1447).
Montelupone returned later to the Church until the moment
of its unification to the Reign of Italy (1860).
A curiosity: in 1799 in Montelupone found
shelter Monaldo Leopardi in escape from Recanati besieged
by the bandits. With him there was his one year old son: Giacomo
Montelupone is a medieval village able to
to provoke in the visitor great emotions for the integrity
of its walls with intact towers, the splendid
doors, its noble palaces
and the main public square where the civic monuments of the
village are located.
To be visited in Montelupone the Palace of the Podestà
with a high tower with Ghibelline merlatura that stands in
the main Public square, today center of the Civic Museum.
The Church of S. Francesco (half of the XIII
cent.) and the Church of S.Chiara (XV-XVII cent.) are the
main religious monuments of Montelupone.