This is a file from the Wikimedia
Commons. Click the pic to see its description page and licensing.
rises between the Aspio and Musone valleys. Present city rose
in VII century but the area was inhabited since more ancient
ages as demonstrated through the findingsi of some Picene
tombs in the zone of the Furnaces.
Allied of Rome,
it lived the vicissitudes tied to the barbaric invasions and
made then part of the Ostrogoto Reign. Besieged by general
bizantino Belisario, disembarked in Italy
in 535 with the attempt to restore the Western
Roman Empire, it was then annexed to the Longobard Reign.
The Castle rose on the hill in the XI century and appears
in a document of 1139 with the name of Castrum Guicardi, then
changed in Ficardi.
Castelfidardo became Comune and, as other cities
of Central Italy, took part to the fights between Guelfi and
Ghibellines suffering th besiege by Federico Barbarossa
in 1174 and the destruction by king Enzo
in 1240. It passed to the Roman Church in 1281, became fief
of Malatesta di Rimini and Sforza, it made part again of the
Roman State in 1451 and here remained until the unification
In September 18th 1860 Castelfidardo is the
theatre of a decisive battle in the history of Italy between
the Savoia army and the papal troops. With the victory of
Savoia Marches passed to the Reign of Sardinia and then definitively
to the new Italian State.
Several are the cultural stages of a visit to Castelfidardo:
the S.Stefano Collegiata Church with a Baroque
bell tower, built in year 1000 and then many times restored
in subsequent centuries; the of S. Augustin church
(1490) from where it can be enjoyed a nice panorama,
the baroque Church of San Francesco, who passed here to teach
Between the examples of civil architecture we report the Palazzo
Comunale ('500), Palazzo Mordini that accommodates
the Museum of the Renaissance and Palazzo Soprani.