Founded by Umbri
in the land of Esino valley, Jesi subsequently was conquered
by Etruscans and by Senonian Gauls,
native of France and arrived in the peninsula in the V sec.
a.C., who had in Senigallia their capital.
The date of 295
a.C marks the end of the autonomy of the italic populations,
that after the Sentino battle passed under
the jurisdiction of Rome.
Jesi therefore became municipium romanum and aquired
the town planning still visible today (medieval walls in fact
were built along the perimeter of Roman roads).
After the end of the Empire the city was witness, like other
localities of the region, of pillages and destructions operated
by invading people, of the fight between Ostrogoths
and Byzantines and the reduction of Charlemagne,
which determined the end of the Longobard Reign in Italy.
Between the VIII and X century had great relief the presence
and the work of Benedictines monks who constructed abbeys
in the territory of Marches.
In 999 the Emperor Ottone III gave back Jesi
to the dominion of the Church.
In the 1130 Jesi became free Comune
knowing a period of trading and architectonic development
with the construction of the most important monuments of the
city and the fortification of the medieval village.
In 1194 Jesi gave birth to a unique actor
in the political and historical panorama of the age: the Emperor
Federico II of Svevia, said Stupor Mundi.
As for other cities ideals of the age of the Comuni
failed and followed the powerful noble families: Malatesta,
Braccio da Montone and Sforza,
who gave it to the Church in 1447 that kept
it until 1797, year of entrance of the napoleoniche
troops in city.
In 1808 was annexed to the Reign of Naples and remained until
September 1860, day in which Italian army entered to Jesi
annexing it to the new Reign of Italy.
Jesi has a lot of art pearls and still conserves its medieval
aspect surrounded by high walls along which stands out the
Montirozzo Tower ('400), symbol of the city:
the Chatedral of San Settimio (XII-XIV sec.)
and the gothic church of Saint Mark ('200), the Palaces
of the Podestà and Comune
(the XII sec.), the Palazzo della Signoria
of later age (half through the '400) an Rococò mastepieces
like Palazzo Pianetti (half through the '700)
that today it accommodates the Municipal Museum (Pinacoteca)
that keeps mastepieces by Venetian painter Lorenzo
Lotto, than worked here in the second half of '400.
PIAZZA FEDERICO II