Immersed in a landscape of extraordinary beauty in the western
part of the Pollino National Park is where one will come across
the ancient village of Viggianello.
Its foundation came about during the Greek Period or probably
during the Second Punic War (III century BCV). Vases and coins
have been discovered from this period in archaeological sites
in the Spedarei, Campo le Rose and Caloi localities.
History reports the existence of a Castrum Byanelli, a Roman
garrison of Via Capua-Rhegium, also known as Via Popilia or
Via Annia. It was constructed during 132 BC to connect Rome
with Reggio Calabria.
All trace of the ancient centre has been lost. It is only
during the X century that there is confirmation of the presence
of Basilian Monks who were active in its territory, in some
It was conquered by the Normans (XI century) who erected the
first fortress, which appeared for the first time in a document
during 1132 by the name of Vinginello.
Viggianello belonged to the powerful Sanseverino-Bisignano
family from 1484-1809.
During the XVII century, its population was decimated by plague
A visit to the City
The City preserves its original town-planning structure where
the most important architectonic structures were placed. Among
these we would like to cite the Santa Caterina Mother Church
which guards a baptismal font in its interior from the XVI
century, the SS. Trinità Church with its Basilian dome
and the Sanseverino-Bisignano Castle ruins.
From a more recent era one can admire nobiliary buildings
from the 18th century, among which: Palazzo Mastropaolo and
Viggianello is part of the Pollino National Park, a naturalistic
oasis where it is possible to enjoy various types of excursions.
Place of interest
The SS Trinità Church; Sanseverino-Bisignano Castle
ruins; S. Caterina Parrocchiale (Parish) Church (XVII century);
Palazzo Mastropaolo (XVII century); Palazzo De Filpo; Palazzo
Caporeale (XVII century); Santa Maria dell'Assunta Chapel
(1595); S. Maria della Grotta or Santa Rosa Chapel (1738);
San Luigi Chapel (De Filpo family); San Luigi Chapel; Immacolata
Concezione Chapel; S. Sebastiano Chapel; Sant'Antonio Chapel
(1656); Ava Maria Chapel; S. Lucia Chapel in the Canalea locality;
San Francesco of Paola Church (XIX century); S. Pasquale Church
in the Prastio locality; Gioia Fountain (1876); S. Carmelo
Parish Church in the Pedali locality; Chapels: S. Onofrio,
Madonna dell'Alto (1775); S. Antonio in the Convent, Madonna
del Soccorso, Maria SS. Miracolosa, S. Francesco of Paola;
Magnacane Mill in the Falascoso locality; Piano Ruggio and
Belvedere; Archaeological area dating back to the Greek-Roman
era in the Campo le Rose locality; Archaeological area dating
back to the Greek-Roman era in the Caloi locality; Archaeological
area dating back to the Greek-Roman era in the Spedirei locality;
Pollino National Park; a visit to Castelluccio Superiore;
a visit to Castelluccio Inferiore; a visit to Rotonda.
The Viggianello Carnival; Procession of the Death of Christ
on Good Friday; Feast in honour of San Francesco of Paola
during the 1st week after Easter in the Piano Pedali district;
Feast in honour of the Madonna dell'Alto on the last Sunday
in May in the San Nicola-Gallizzi locality; Sacred Heart of
Jesus the first Sunday in July; Feast of S. Francesco of Paola
the second and third Sunday in August; Feast in honour of
the Madonna del Carmelo on the 3rd Sunday in August; Feast
in honour of San Francesco of Paola and festival of fir trees
in the last week of August; Pilgrimage to the Madonna dell'Alto
on the first Sunday in September; Feast in honour of the Madonna
Addolorata on the last Sunday in September; Feast of S. Caterina
on 25th November.