Albano di Lucania is a solitary village
positioned on the summit of Mount San Leonardo, at 900 metres
above sea level in the Basento Valley.
The presence of man has been testified by finds in Rocca
del Cappello, probably a pre-chosen locality of the ancient
civilisation, to practice sacred rituals, as demonstrated
by the Palmenti or artificial basins dug out in the rock,
which carry symbolic inscriptions.
The origins of its name may have come from an old Roman family
called Albius, who owned the lands of Albano, or from Indo-European
roots – Alb means hill or mountain.
What is certain though, is that in some Vatican documentation
dating back to the VIII century, the S. Maria del Rifugio
Monastery is mentioned, which was founded by Basilian monks
in escape from iconoclastic persecution from Eastern emperors.
The Saracens were located in Abriola and Pietrapertosa, and
in order to countervail their raids, the Longobards decided
to construct a stronghold, giving the village its origins
During Norman and Swabian domination, it was administered
from the earldom of Tricarico, and a Romanesque style church
was built (1200).
Moreover, the arrival of the Angioinians made the Albano population
hostile, culminating in a revolt (1268), and coincided with
the beginning of a period which saw the village assigned or
sold from time to time to various feudatories. It belonged
to Countess Filippa d’Alba, G. Pipino (1301), enfeoffed
to the Sanseverino Family (XV and XVI centuries), bought be
Dott. Ovidio D’Esars Alvario (1606) and resold in 1610.
It once again became the property of the Parisi Family and
became a dukedom under Domenico Ruggiero during 1687. His
family ruled Albano until the outbreak of the Republican motions
(1799) and the historical uprising of the population against
After the experience of the Renaissance motions, Albano, as
with all of Basilicata, merged into the Reign of Italy (1861.
A visit to the City
Albano is ideal for those who are in search of refuge and
tranquility, but can also offer points of cultural interest
to visit. The village is dominated by the S. Maria Assunta
Church, a Romanesque construction dating back to the XIII
century, which preserves precious paintings in its interior
from the XVI and XVII centuries.
The Annunziata Church completes the visit to the religious
buildings of Albano.
The remainder of the village is made up of tortuous alleyways
and smalls squares containing nobiliary buildings with elegant
The remains of the ancients walls, erected for protection,
are still visible on the edges of the village, along with
2 towers which are now used as habitation.
Around Albano, one can visit the Paleochristian Church in
the Rifoggio and the Rocca del Cappello, which preserves Neolithic
The Madonna di Fonti and Madonna delle Grazie Sanctuaries
are situated a few kilometers away from the village.
Places of interest
The S. Maria Assunta Church (XIII century), the Annunziata
Church in the Monte area; the Paleochristian Church in Rifoggio
(VII and VIII centuries); the Madonna di Fonti Sanctuary;
the Madonna delle Grazie Sanctuary; the Seggia del Diavolo
(Devil’s Seat); Rocca del Cappello; the Palmenti (Basins)
in the surrounding areas.