On the summit which divides the Serrapótamo and Sinni
Valleys, inside the Pollino National Park, is where Chiaromonte
is located in a panoramic position. It is an ancient habitation
rich in architectonic beauty just waiting to be discovered.
The first nucleus of Chiaromonte sprung up during the Iron
Age and prospered until the VI century BC, when it began commercial
and cultural contact with the Magna Greek colonies.
As part of Roman territory after the Sannitiche (Sanniti -
Italica population from Sannio) Wars and those against the
Greek colonies (IV-III century), Chiaromonte was destroyed
by Crasso during the Servile War clashes (I century BC) led
Its toponym derives from the Latin Clarus Mons, with reference
to light which the place enjoys plenty of due to its geographic
After a sad period of destruction imputable to barbaric invasions
(V century) and a brief Ostrogoth Reign (496-535), Chiaromonte,
for an even shorter period, entered under domination by the
Eastern Empire at the end of the Greek-Gothic war (535-553),
then passed to Longobard ownership (end of the VI century).
During the IX century, the village was brought to the ground
by a violent earthquake and had to await the arrival of the
Norman conquerors to begin its re-construction.
Under the new nobles, it was given in fief to the Chiaromonte
family and subsequently, during the Angioiniansan era (XIII
century) to the Sanseverino-Bisignano family, who kept it
Beginning with the XVI century and for the entire XVII century,
the population was reduced due to frequent Plague epidemics.
It was only during the XVI century that it began to reassume
some sort of form as testified by the rich city planning and
construction of nobiliary buildings.
A visit to the City
Chiaromonte is a place which emanates fascination, thanks
to its position which offers enjoyable panoramic views over
the surrounding valleys and also thanks to the beauty of its
still intact Medieval village.
In the older part of the City, the Medieval walls are still
operative, along which open various doors; the Portello being
of particular beauty and artistic interest as well as the
The San Giovanni Church, dating back to the XII-XIII century,
is interesting. It preserves precious wooden sculptures in
There are also many nobiliary buildings in the City which
are dominated by the Sanseverino Castle: Dolcetti, Lauria,
Donadio and Di Giura.
In the immediate vicinity of the village, one can visit the
ruins of Certosa di Chiaromonte (1395), those of the S. Maria
del Sagittario Abbey and the remains of the Cistercensi Convent.
For enthusiasts of ancient civilization, there are also three
archaeological areas in Chiaromonte, dating back to the pre-Hellenistic
and Hellenistic periods.
The visible coves positioned in the rocky walls are characteristic
and today, are used to age wine.
Place of interest
Sanseverino Castle; Ruins of the Medieval Castle; Palazzo
Di Giura; Walls and Medieval Doors; Palazzo Lauria; Fountains;
S. Maria del Sagittario Abbey (XII century); S. Giovanni Battista
(St. John the Baptist) Matrix Church; San Giovanni Church
(XII-XIII century); S. Tommaso sul Catarozzolo Church (XIV
century); Ventrile or Frida Convent; Certosa di Chiaromonte
(1395); Calvario; Palazzo Sanseverino (1319); Palazzo Vescovile
(1609); Palazzo Dolcetti (XVIII century); Palazzo Lauria (XVIII
century); Palazzo Donadio (XVIII century); Palazzo Di Giura
(XVIII century); Greek archaeological area in Battifarano-Tre
Confini; archaeological area with a pre-Greek Necropolises
in the S. Rocco locality; archaeological area with a pre-Greek
Necropolises in the S. Pasquale locality; panoramic spots
in Catarozzo; Tempa Angari; Spiga Tower.