SAN MAURO FORTE
San Mauro Forte is positioned on a tuffaceous
crest with a panoramic view overlooking the territory which
spreads out up to the Ionian Coast.
The territory of San Mauro was inhabited by Italic populations
until the VI century BC, as testified by archaeological sites
from various periods, where finds have been discovered dating
back to the Lucana, Roman and Medieval eras.
The present day habitation, came about instead during the
Norman era as a result of the foundation of a Benedictine
convent dedicated to San Mauro and under the Tricarico diocese.
It was quickly fortified with defensive walls which open up
through 4 doors, of which only Porta Piazzile remains. San
Mauro Forte enjoyed immediate development during which time
the Castle was built, then modified by the Angioiniansans
(XIII century). From this structure only the cylindrical tower
close to the Parish Church remains.
It was always linked to the Montescaglioso fief, and shared
the historical destiny which saw it from time to time assigned
to various feudatories through inheritance, matrimonial dowries
or as part a debt collection.
It belonged to the following families: Del Balzo (1634), Orsini,
the powerful Sanseverino, Della Marra, Carafa and Colonna.
This continued until midway through the XVIII century when
it was redeemed by the following families: Arcieri, Lauria
and Acquaviva, who being nominated barons, settled in San
Mauro Forte and built their nobiliary dwellings.
A visit to the City
In the City, one can admire numerous architectonic structures:
the Norman Tower, which is all that remains of the Medieval
Castle. Adjacent to it is where the Baroque S. Maria Church
is located which preserves a canvas from the '600s in its
interior. The Annunziata Church embellished with a beautiful
stone portal from the '500s and which preserves an Annunciazione
(Annunciation) by Antonio Stabile (1580).
One must not forget the nobiliary buildings during a visit
to San Mauro Forte: Palazzo Lauria, with its beautiful Baroque
portal (1770); Palazzo Arcieri, seat of the municipality;
Palazzo Scalese and Palazzo Acquaviva.
In the San Mauro territory there are also some springs and
the remains of a Roman villa, an aqueduct and tombs from the
Roman and Lucana eras.
Place of interest
The Tower from the Norman Castle (XI century); Palazzo Acieri,
now the municipality seat; Palazzo Lauria; Palazzo Scalese;
Palazzo Acquaviva; Santa Maria Church; Annunziata Church;
Porta Piazzile; Grottone dei Monaci; Archaeological sites
of Piano del Campo, Salice district; Monte Mella; Monte Tempa
di Riso Spring; San Marco Spring; a visit to Accettura.
The Grottone dei Monaci.
Feast of Campanaccio on 15th, 16th and 17th January; Procession
of the Addolorata during Holy Week; Feast in honour of San
Mauro (Patron Saint) on 23rd May.