Not too far from Potenza, along the Valle del Basento on
a majestic summit, is where one will find the ancient stronghold
of Brindisi Montagna.
There are differing theories regarding the origins of Brindisi
Montagna, which date the village as being founded during the
Roman, Longobard or Carolingian eras. The Castle, however,
positioned on higher rocky ground, definitely already existed
during the IX century after Christ.
Furthermore, the territory surrounding the village was already
inhabited during the Neolithic period as demonstrated by finds
of Litici handicrafts, bracelets and Greek coins.
Brindisi Montagna was on the Ghibelline side during the clash
between the Swabians and Angioiniansans (1268) and after the
French victory, it was given in fief to Guidone de Foresta
from King Carlo I d’Angio.
Under the Aragonese, it belonged to the powerful Sanseverino
family and in subsequent years it changed hands to the Parisi
and Antinori families, mainly following the history of feudalism
An earthquake destroyed Brindisi Montagna during 1456, but
it was subsequently reconstructed nearer the castle, also
thanks to a contribution from Greek-Albanian families who
arrived here in 1536, after Turkish expansive politics in
the Orient. This year also saw construction of the Mother
Church and that of S. Maria delle Grazie (1575).
In 1799, the population of Brindisi Montagna, strongly supported
Republican ideals. A Freedom Tree was planted in the square,
but not long after, the manifestation became repressed in
blood by Cardinal Ruffo’s troops.
Following the Renaissance and Unitarian motions, Brindisi
Montagna merged into the Reign of Italy (1861).
In 1961, a further earthquake demolished the ancient Castle,
which was later partially rebuilt.
A visit to the City
Brindisi Montagna is dominated by its Mother Church, dedicated
to San Nicola of Bari, whilst on a rock south of the City,
one can admire the striking ruins of the Castle of ancient
origins. It collapsed during the earthquake of 1964, but was
partially rebuilt and now confers a unique fascination to
the profile of the City and surrounding area.
One can also visit other churches, buildings and fountains
Outside the habitation, one can visit Parco della Grancia,
which hosts the San Demetrio Monastery.
Place of interest
The Chiesa Madre of San Nicola of Bari (1595-1627); the
Castle; S. Lorenzo and Grancia of S. Demetrio Church; S. Vincenzo
Ferreri Church; S. Maria della Grazie Church (1595); Brindisi
Montagna Fountains; Votive Building of Brindisi Montagna;
Palmenti; State Regional Forest of Grancia; Grancia Historical
Rural and Environmental Park.