An ancient centre situated
in the lower Murgia Plateau, in the province of Bari, is where
one will find Terlizzi; a City of art capable of offering
visits to points of cultural interest.
Its birth came about during the period of barbaric invasion
(V Century), and the subsequent one characterised by clashes
between the Byzantines and Ostrogoths (VI Century). It was
probably known as the ancient Turricium, but its history appeared
in the Longobard Testament of Wacco of Benevento (797 BC),
referred to as Casale di Trelicio and donated to the Benedictine
Abbey of Montecassino.
Beginning in the IX Century, it was besieged by the Saracens,
who frequently attacked suburbs along the Adriatic coast of
During the X Century, it returned to the Byzantines, who quickly
surrendered it to the Normans (XI Century). The Normans fortified
it and built the Castle. Beginning in 1073, it was governed
by Count Amico and then by his son, but numerous clashes with
the Norman kings, took it to a proclamation of autonomy and
Terlizzi acquired the title of a City (1123).
A few years later, it once again became a fief of the Tuzziaco,
Wrunfort, Orsini of Taranto and Grimaldi families, until 1780
when it paid 100.000 ducats to the Royal Court and became
a free city. It participated in the motions linked to the
proclamation of the Republic of Naples by Bonaparte and planted
a “Freedom Tree” in the square.
Beginning from the 19th Century, it enjoyed a period of economic
development involving ceramic production, which still today,
continues to be an important activity for Terlizzi.
During its more recent history, it became one of the most
important floricultural centres in Italy.
A visit to the Medieval centre includes churches of major
interest, among which we would like to mention: the 16th Century
S, Maria la Nova Church, the Purgatory Church and the S. Michael
the Archangel Church, built on the site of the old Romanesque
Duomo at the end of the ‘700s.
Only one square tower remains from the Norman Castle dating
back to the XI Century, namely the Torre dell’Orologio
(Clock Tower), an unopposed symbol of the City.
Not too far outside the habitation, one can visit the Medieval
S. Maria of Cesano Church (1055), and the Sovereto Sanctuary,
which preserves the Sacred Icon of the Madonna of Sovereto.