Half way between Alberobello
and Martinafranca, in the part of Puglia known by the name
of Murgia, the traveller will see Locorotondo appear on the
horizon like a white cathedral dominating the Itria Valley
and speckled with Trulli, the typical dwelling of Murgia.
Its history is relatively modern and saw it appear with the
name of Casale San Giorgio, then changed to Casale Rotondo,
Luogo Rotondo and finally Locorotondo, with clear reference
to the circular village plan.
Its origins date back to the era when the Count of Conversano
Goffredo, nephew of the Norman Robert Guicard, was the main
supporter of the political unit of Puglia.
It passed in fief to Ottavio Loffredo during the 1500s and
subsequently to the Duke of Martinafranca, Francesco Caracciolo
Locorotondo is a striking village capable of welcoming visitors
in its characteristic districts (San Marco, Tagaro, Serra,
Trito). Here one can visit the Palazzo Comunale (Seat of the
Civic Library), Palazzo Morelli and Palazzo De Bernardis.
It preserves a national monument, namely the Basilian Madonna
della Greca Church (1100), but there are numerous other religious
buildings: the Mother Church, Spirito Santo Church, Addolorata
Church, Santa Maria del Soccorso Chapel, Annunziata Church,
Ospedale Church, San Nicola Church and the San Rocco Church.
Here one can visit the oldest Trullo (Typical dwelling) in
Italy: the Trullo of Marziolla (1509).