Known throughout the world
for the characteristics of its habitation. In 1996 Alberobello
became a UNESCO World Heritage of Humanity site.
Alberobello was founded during the second half of the 16th
Century, when some farmers were authorised by the Feudal Acquaviva
Family, Counts of Conversano, to construct their habitation.
The dwellings, known throughout the world by the name of Trulli,
were dry constructed (without mortar) in order to avoid taxes
which were due under the 'Prammatica de Baronibus', a structure
that called for a royal commission to check out new city developments
firsthand and assign appropriate levies. For this reason,
during royal visits, it is said that the entire habitation
was dismantled during the night, only to be reconstructed
after the royals departure.
It was only after two centuries that the citizens, who were
sent to Taranto by King Ferdinando Vth, were able in 1797
to obtain the proclamation of Alberobello as a state monopoly,
therefore allowing the use of mortar during the construction
The Trulli of Alberobello can be recognised from afar by their
characteristic aspect, similar to petrified tents embellished
with decorative pinnacles which declared the skills of the
craftsman to rank the family that lived there.
In its oldest areas, Alberobello is divided into two districts.
Monti and Aia Piccola – two hills divided by a river.
At the top of the first hill, one can visit the Church of
Saint Anthony, also constructed in Trullo form, with a large
21 metre dome and a Greek cross layout.
One can visit the Trullo Sovrano in the City, which was constructed
during the 18th century by the Perta Family. Today it is a
museum seat, a site for cultural encounters and musical events
during the summer period.