Tursi is positioned between the Sinni and
dell'Agri Valley, a few kilometres from the Jonic Coast and
the Pollino National Park.
The centre came about under the Visigoths of Alarico (410
BC) who erected the first fortress on the hill after having
almost completely destroyed neighbouring Anglona.
Anglona subsequently had to also suffer Saracen raids (IX
century) and many of its inhabitants therefore took refuge
in Tursi and allowed its expansion.
It entered into the Ostrogoth Reign (475-553) which ended
with the Greek-Gothic War (535-553). Tursi then firstly passed
under the Byzantines and later the Longobards (VII century).
The descent of the Francs (754) of Pipino and of Carlo Magno
took away the power from the Longobards in the territory,
opening a gap which was soon filled by the Saracens. The latter
left a strong architectonic imprint which today is still recognisable
in the Rabátana, namely the Arabic district.
In 890, the Byzantines arrived once more after defeating the
Saracens and re-occupying the village. They then made Tursi
an Episcopal Seat of Greek Rites (960).
During the XV century the troops of Queen Giovanna completely
destroyed Anglona, leaving only its Sanctuary standing and
determining the escape of the population, who once more took
refuge in Tursi.
Under Norman (XI century) and Swabian (1196) domination, the
village developed strongly, so much so that it became one
of the most highly populated centres of Lucania.
It was a fief of the following families over the centuries:
Sanseverino, Doria, Visconti (1758) and the Colonna of Paliano
The dialectal poet, Albino Pierro, was born in Tursi.
A visit to the City
In the lower part of the village, one can visit the Annunziata
Cathedral ('700s) with frescoes and sculptures in its interior
and the San Filippo Neri Church (1661) with frescoes and canvases
from the Neapolitan School.
In the higher part of Tursi, which is dominated by the Castle
remains, one will come across the Rabátana Church,
being an Arabic construction with a portal from the XIV century
and a triptych attributed to the school of the great master
Giotto in its interior.
Close to Tursi one will come across the ancient Madonna of
Anglona Sanctuary where thousands visit on annual pilgrimage.
Place of interest
The Castle Remains; Rabátana Church; SS Annunziata
Cathedral ('700s); Santa Maria Maggiore Church; San Filippo
Neri Church (1661); San Nicola Church; Santa Maria delle Grazie
Church; Madonna of Anglona Sanctuary.
Feast of San Filippo Neri on 26th May; Feast of the Madonna
della Icona on 2nd July; Festival of the Madonna of Anglona
Sanctuary on 2nd September; Madonna of Anglona Festivities
on 8th September.