In the geographical area known as Alto Bradano, between Acerenza
and Ripacandida, is where Forenza is located.
It is a centre which enjoys an excellent panoramic position
Close to the present day habitation, one can visit the remains
of the ancient City of Forentum, which was founded by the
Apuli and known as Pherente.
It was conquered by Rome during
the Second Sannitica War of 317 BC under the command of the
Roman Consul Quinto Giunio Bubulco. It became a municipality
under Emperor Augusto (I century BC).
It was destroyed by the Goths during the clashes of the Greek-Gothic
War (535-553), and subsequently passed under Byzantine domination.
With the advent of the Longobards (VII century AD), Forenza
entered as part of the Gastaldato of Acerenza.
The Normans (XI century) gave it to the Pagani family who
were the founders of the Order of Templar Knights, and the
Swabians (XIII century), who made it part of royal government
The Angioiniansans (1268) made it a fief of the Caracciolo
family, who ruled it until the initial years of the 16th Century.
The ascension to the Imperial throne by the Hapsburgs coincided
for Forenza with being assigned to the Doria family, who kept
it until the abolition of feudal rights (1806).
In 1799, the inhabitants took part in the Neapolitan Revolution,
by adhering to the Partenopean Republic, and planting a Freedom
tree in the square.
During 1860, it was one of the centres of revolt against the
Bourbon regime, and subsequently the Unity of Italy (1861).
It was distinguished in the fight against brigands who impoverished
northern areas of Basilicata.
A visit to the City
One can visit the Chiesa del Crocifisso in Forenza, which
was built in 1680. It preserves a precious wooden crucifix
in its interior from the XVII century; paintings from the
‘500s, a canvas (Santa Maria della Stella) from the
XIV century and a Choir from the XVI century.
The Chiesa Madre, dedicated to S. Nicola is also interesting
with its beautiful Romanesque portal and the Annunziata Church
(XII-XIII centuries), which preserves a precious statue of
S. Maria of the Longobards in its interior.
Not too distant, one can visit the Monserico Castle, stage
of one of the major Byzantine defeats at the hands of the
Place of interest
The S. Nicola Matrix Church; SS. Crocifisso Church and Convent
(1680); SS Annunziata Church (XII-XIII centuries); S. Vito
Church; S. Pietro Church; Madonna dell’Armenia Church;
S. Caterina Convent; Ruins of the Roman City of Forentum;
Basilian Church of San Biagio; Monserico Castle; Maschito