Viggiano is situated in a panoramic position in the Alta
Val d'Agri and is a holiday centre which today is also known
for the presence of Eni petrol plants.
Its territory comprises the Calvario summit and Castle and
part of Mount Enoc.
It was a ancient Pagus of Grumentum, deriving its name from
After the end of the Roman Empire, the centre was fortified
by the Longobards who guessed the strategic defence potentiality
of the territory.
The IX century saw the arrival of Basilian Monks who established
the Greek ritual cult.
The destruction of the Grumentum came about during the same
period by the hands of the Saracens and its inhabitants took
refuge in this area founding Byanum.
Under the Normans Viggiano was entrusted to Guglielmo de Tivelle
and subsequently to Berengario de Giso (1167). The village
passed over to the Swabians during the XIII century and took
part in the Ghibelline revolts of 1268 which tended to contrast
the Angioinians rise to power, who after victory entrusted
Viaggiano to Roberto l'Enfant.
During 1277 it became the property of the Curia and shortly
afterwards was assigned to Beltrando De Baume who kept until
1285, the year it became the fief of Giovanni Pipino.
Over the centuries, it was fife of the following families:
Sanseverino, Del Balzo, Dentice (1400), Sangro (1633) and
through marriage, it reached the lineage of the Loffredo family
(second half of the XVIII century), Counts of Potenza.
Viggiano participated in the motions of 1799 which were linked
to the birth of the Republic of Naples and then rebelled against
the French during 1806.
Viggiano was also distinguished during the Carbonari motions
(1820-21), as well as those of the Renaissance (1848) and
Unitarian (1860) which led to the formation of the Reign of
The area was gravely damaged during seismic activity in 1857.
Viggiano is well known for the construction of musical instruments
and for its musicians who during the phase of mass emigration
during the XIX and XX centuries, it became an involuntary
ambassador throughout Europe and the world.
A visit to the City
Only some Castle ruins which remained standing after the
earthquake of 1857 testify the ancient feudal power.
The City is embellished by the presence of low marble reliefs
depicting musical instruments which appear in the doorways
of the nobiliary buildings in its historical centre which
remind one of the musical tradition of Viggiano.
The S. Maria del Deposito Basilica is also important and from
September to May guards a Black statue of the Madonna in its
interior. With a great procession on foot, the statue is transported
to the Santuario (Sanctuary) del Monte on the first Sunday
Whilst staying in Viggiano one can visit the ruins of Grumentum
and discover the naturalistic beauty of Lake Pietra di Pertusillo
and Mount Viggiano.
Place of interest
The Norman Castle ruins; Francescani Church; S, Maria of
Gesù Convent (1478); Ruins of the Santa Maria La Preta
Church; S. Benedetto Church (XVI century); San Sebastiano
Church (XVII century); Sant'Antonio Abate Church (XVIII century);
San Rocco Church (XIX century); Palazzo Sanfelice; Sant'Antonio
Church (1542) in the Abate locality; S. Maria del Deposito
Sanctuary; Monte Sanctuary; Pastori sul Monte Viaggiano Fountain;
Acquafredda Fountain on Mount Viaggiano; Hellenistic Necropolis
in the Serrone locality; Lake Pietra di Pertusillo; A visit
to Montemurro; A visit to Grumentum; A visit to Moliterno.
Feast in honour of the Madonna del Sacro Monte di Viggiano
on the 1st Sunday in May; Feast in honour of the Madonna del
Sacro Monte di Viggiano on the 1st Sunday in September; Grape
Festival in the “Vigne” locality on the 1st Sunday
in October; Fairs: 24th January; the last Saturday and Sunday
in May, 10th August, 12th September and the first Sunday in