L’Aquila is a City of Abruzzo as
well as being the main Provincial and Regional town. It
was built up at the foot of the Gran Sasso (Big Rock) at
a height (714) which dominated the valley of the Aterno.
The City, already conceived by Federico II of Svevia, was
constructed in 1254 on the remains of the previous Roman
site of Amiternum.
The late Roman Church of Saint Mary of Collemaggio, founded
in 1287 outside the City walls, is characteristic for its
façade and marmoreal incrustation and for its beautiful
doors; it’s the most decorated and well preserved
monument of the City, as well as being the highest architectural
expression of the entire Abruzzo region.
Other late Roman Churches, but ones that have been re-adjusted,
are the churches of Saint Giusta (1257-1349), Saint Mary
of Paganica, Saint Flaviano (dating back to the end of the
1200’s) and Saint Silvestro. The Renaissance Cathedral
of Saint Bernardino (1454), with its 16th Century façade
by Cola dell’Amatrice and sculptures by Silvestro
dell’Aquila, contains the mausoleum dedicated to Saint
Bernardino of Siena.
There are numerous 16th Century Palaces and monuments along
the roads of the historical inhabited centre, which come
from the Baroque and neo-classical eras...
[L'AQUILA Guide >>]