is a Western Sicilian city of rich architectonic and cultural
patrimony. It also offers a not to be missed occasion to visit
the remains of Selinunte,
a Greek colony, which still preserves the ruins of temples
and of Acropolis looking over the Mediterranean Sea.
The City was built up around a country house
or castle of Arabic foundations, which then
passed to the Normans with the conquest of
Sicily by Roberto il Guiscardo and his brother, Ruggero
d’Altavilla (12th Century), who was to become
the future king of Sicily.
In 1299, after Swabian domination,
and a change of power to the Aragonese, it
saw a period of development until the end of the 15th Century,
after a feud by the Tagliavia family.
Fulcrum of the visit to Castelvetrano is the church known
as the Chiesa Madre (1520-1579), which is
situated in Piazza Don Carlo d’Aragona, right next to
the bell tower, with double lancet windows
(1522) and the Ninfa Fountain (1615).
Other religious buildings that are wroth a visit, are the
S. Domenico Church (1470), S. Giovanni Battista (John the
Baptist) (1589) and the Norman church of S.S. Trinità
di Delia (12th Century), just outside the City.