The ancient Medieval village of Morano Calabro,
is situated in a central position in respect of the two coasts
of Calabria, on the edges of the Pollino National Park.
The centre appeared in the Lapis Pollae, an important memorial
tablet bearing an inscription along Via Popilia (159 BC),
which linked Capua to Reggio Calabria, by the name of Muranum.
It seems that in this Imperial era, a Roman fort was built
and encompassed in the Castle.
During the IV century AD, in the late Imperial era, the centre
was noted as Summuranum in the Antonino Itinerary, a list
of rest stations of the Roman Empire.
As with other localities of the peninsular, historical tracks
have been lost until 1076 when the inhabitants managed to
repulse Saracen raids.
The Castle was built during the Norman-Swabian era on the
ancient ruins of the Roman fort. The fief, which passed under
Angioinian rule (1269), was fief over the centuries of the
following families: Apollonio Morano, Fasanella, Antonello
di Fuscaldo, Sanseverino di Bisignano (XIV century) and the
Spinelli (1614), who ruled it until the end of feudalism (1806).
In 1863, by decree of King Vittorio Emanuele II, Morano assumed
the name of Calabro to distinguish it from Morano sul Po.
In 2003 Morano Calabro was awarded the Bandiera Arancione
(Orange Flag), an acknowledgement given by the Italian Touring
Club to all small municipalities of the Italian hinterlands,
that highlight development of quality tourism.
A visit to the City
Morano Calabro was inserted in the list of the most beautiful
districts of Italy. Its central characteristic, made up of
closely built houses, arches, buildings, alleyways and ascending
walkways leading to the Castle, immediately capture the visitors’
Morano Calabro churches are also its treasures, beginning
with the San Bernardino da Siena (1452), a building in late-Gothic
style with a façade and porch with four arches. The
church is situated in the lower part of Morano Calabro and
preserves an altar, a polyptych by Bartolomeo Vivarini (1477)
in its interior.
Not too distant from here is where one will come across the
Collegiate of Maddalena, a great Baroque building with a Neo-Classic
façade rich with works of art in its interior.
Heading upwards in the city, one will come across the San
Nicola Church with its beautiful portal and ascending even
higher, the Castle remains, of Norman foundation, in a dominant
position. From here, one can enjoy an incredible panoramic
Nearby lies the Collegiate of SS. Pietro and Paolo, the oldest
church in Morano Calabro (XI century), containing a noteworthy
Rococo chorus in its interior and a statue by Pietro Bernini,
Gian Lorenzo’s father, on the altar.
Place of interest
- Resti del Castello Normanno-Svevo
- Chiesa e Monastero di San Bernardino da Siena (1452)
- Chiesa dei S.S. Pietro e Paolo (XI sec.)
- Collegiata di S. Maria Maddalena
- Chiesa di S. Nicola di Bari
- Convento dei Cappuccini (1590-1606)
- Chiesa del Carmine ('500)
- Chiesa del Purgatorio
- Fontana di Piazza San Nicola (1590)
- Palazzo Guaragna-Cappelli
- Palazzo Coscia
- Palazzo Rocco
- Palazzo Salmena
- Palazzo Serranù
- Palazzo Scorza-Aronne
- Palazzo Cozza
- Palazzo dei Cavalieri Marzano
- Palazzo Lauria
- Ruderi del Monastero di Colloreto (1545)
- Visita di Castrovillari
- Parco Nazionale del Pollino
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festa della Bandiera in giugno