Not too far from the Pollino National Park
and the Calabria road is where one will find Altomonte,
which hosts an architectonic patrimony of remarkable interest.
Its origin takes one back to the Medieval centuries when
bands of Saracens (IX century) raged on the territory, plundering
and occupying the Southern areas of Italy.
in escape, therefore took refuge on higher more secure ground
and founded new villages. Altomonte would have sprung up by
the hands of refugees from Balbia, of Roman foundation and
famous for its excellent wine production.
The village initially took on the name of Brahalla of Arabic
derivation, later mutated into Altofiume (1137) and finally
into Altomonte (1352). It belonged to the Sangineto nobiliary
until 1377 when the village passed hands to the Sanseverino
Both lineages made Altomonte into a cultural centre which
soon took on noteworthy importance.
A visit to the City
Altomonte wholly preserves its Medieval aspect.
The main monument, among the most important in Calabria, is
the S. Maria della Consolazione Church which dominates the
City. It was erected on the place where a Norman church once
stood by orders of the feudatory Filippo Sangineto, whose
tomb can be found inside the Basilica. The present day construction
presents a beautiful portal, bell tower with mullioned window
and Baroque interior modifications.
Not too far away one can visit the Pallotta Tower and the
Among the other buildings of interest, we would like to cite
the S. Giacomo Church, already existent beginning in the XII
century and re-adjusted during the XVI century, the Baroque
San Francesco of Paola Church with the Minimi Convent annexed
The Civic Museum hosts a great patrimony in the form of the
Basilica della Consolazione.
Furthermore, Altomonte is an excellent point of departure
for excursions to the Pollino National Park.
Place of interest
- Chiesa di S. Maria della Consolazione (XIV sec.)
- Castello (XII sec.)
- Torre dei Pallotta
- Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola (1636)
- Chiesa di San Giacomo
- Convento Domenicano
- Convento dei Minimi
- Casa Romana
- Museo Civico, Convento di S. Maria della Consolazione
- Museo Civico
- Festival of Pigs in January and March;
- San Giuseppe Bread/Cake day on 18th March;
- San Giuseppe Fair on 19th March;
- Procession of San Francesco of Paola in May;
- Festival of Dance in June and July; Feast of the Madonna
of Carmelo mid July;
- Mediterranean Festival of the two seas in August;
- Altomonte Music Festival in September;
- International awards for the History of Philosophy in October;
- Festival of Mushrooms in October and November;
- Fair of the Immaculate Conception in December.