Tricase is situated just inside
the rocky Adriatic coast of Salento, and is a perfect place
to learn about the numerous castles dotted across the Southern
territory of Puglia.
Its origins is suggested by its name: Tricase could derive
from “three houses” or “inter casas,”
however suggesting a union of rural homes for better protection
from Saracen raids during the IX and X Centuries.
Beginning in the XI Century, Tricase was administered by a
local noble (Demetrio Micetti), whose family governed the
suburb until the arrival of the Angiò (1269). The latter
then decided on a conjoint administration between Carlo II
of Angiò and Nasone of Galerato (1270).
Tricase therefore belonged to the Cafalia and Lavena Families,
then became a fief of the Orsini Del Balzo Family from 21st
In 1480, the year Otranto was taken by the Turks, Tricase
was populated by refugees from the campaigns and neighbouring
centres which had been besieged by the invaders. The City
itself was besieged and partially damaged by fire. The Del
Balzo Family ruled the suburb until 1530.
With the decline of Carlo VIII in Italy (1494), a period of
clashes between the French and Spanish began and continued
until the advent of Carlo V of Hapsburg to the throne of Spain.
The Salento centres lined up with one or the other, but Tricase
remained faithful to the Aragonese government, which at the
end of the war, merited some economic benefits.
This however, didn’t avoid it being bought numerous
times by: the Benavola Family for 4.000 ducats, the Castriota-Scanderberc
Family who sold it to the Pappacoda Family (1569), the Santabarbara
Family (1588), who sold it the same year to the Gallone Princes.
The latter governed Tricase from 1558 to 1806, the year of
abolition of feudal rights under the wishes of Napoleon Bonaparte’s
brother, after his ascension to the throne of Naples.
In the ‘700s, Tricase as with all other centres in Puglia,
suffered repeated pestilence and famine which impoverished
In 1807, the seaside part of Tricase, occupied by the French,
was attacked seaward by an English fleet.
After the Renaissance motions against the Bourbon government,
Tricase entered into the Reign of Italy in 1861.
In the City, one can visit a remnant from the 14th Century,
which was transformed during the ‘500s into a historical
dwelling: Palazzo Gallone.
Other castles which were constructed during the period of
Spanish domination in the South, can be found in the neighbouring
areas of Caprarica (1524), Tutino (1580), Andrano (‘500s)
and Depressa (1548).
The Matrix Church, from the Baroque era, conserves interesting
works by Jacopo Palma il Giovane positioned in front of the
S. Domenico Church (1677), also Baroque.